Saturday, December 13, 2008

tryin' dress up when I'm missing you

Staying here for a month, I finally got into school. They made a fuss about it all, saying something about insurance and safety yada yada yada. Now, I got to see what it was like to school here. The principal was nice enough to let me in for a day. School here is only two floors high and just one block.

Of course, it was definitely awkward. SO awkward. I, at 14 years old, was walking with a 18 year old. I was suppose to be with a 16 year old guy but I don't know. The girl had a spare period so, I guess that's why I went with her.

Now, let's not talk about the people. The school is huge, I would probably get lost there. It's like everything you see on television. Long endless rows of lockers, halls, not corridors. A student changes classes after every period. The school has vending machines, everyone in the hallway is using their cell phones. It was unusual. The school is big, really big. Any newbie can get lost. Unlike my school, you'll just end up in the same place someway or another.

The school is big, so is the number of students. So big that everyone does not know everyone. Back home, we at least knew, this person is from school and that person is from class. At all times, there is people by the hallways. Walking around and hanging out. No one cares at all. You hardly see a teacher around too.

Discipline is a snap. Eat in class and the teacher won't bother. Eat in the hallway, no one cares. Kiss your girlfriend by the locker, it's so normal. Everyone is having cell phones and iPod's. Guys keep their hair as long as girls' does. Girls' dress unappealingly but it's like their lifestyle. It's nothing to them at all.

Everything is laid back. It's so mellow that I wonder if any of them ever score in their tests. The teacher doesn't give you crap when you sleep in class. Or when you're not paying attention. Overall, it's your choice. Listen, or no listen. Past the test, that's all they want.

See the difference? Discipline is everything in Malaysia. Hair in place, nails cut so short, no colours on them too. We wear white shoes and white socks that can hardly be seen. We can't walk around the school without passes. No entering toilet without taking off your shoes.

You can do Internet anytime here. Walk into the lab and flash your student ID. Sometimes, I wonder why we can't have that.

Other than the amusing hallways and lockers, you could say I was pretty much bored. I sat in a Grade 11 Chemistry class, for like, an hour or something. Yeah, I like Chemistry but I didn't understand anything, obviously. The girl I was going about with was really nice but I guess she was feeling awkward too. She didn't know me at all and suddenly, she was taking me around. Of course I didn't chatter about, I was feeling awkward. Her friends were even more awkward than us. Why? You tell me. This one girl kept looking at me like she was annoyed or something. I barely talked to her. At all ! And whoa, I get the glare. Her other friend was nice though.

Well, yeah. I had fun even though I wasn't actually looking forward to all this. I discarded the idea about attending school here when I couldn't get in with my cousin. But hey, it was worth the experience.

No comments: