Wednesday, December 3, 2008

take you time and appreciate


Do you know what it feels like, to walk up to a door of a poor family, handing over boxes and boxes of food to them? I know what that feels like.

You feel awfully happy, that you could help someone, someone that is unknown to you. And what more in this season, the Christmas season, if it were not for the volunteers, these people have nothing to celebrate.

I delivered food to two families. Here, a church has a food hamper program to help the poor families. My aunt is a volunteer, so she takes me along to help her out. In the garage of the church, we packed almost 5 boxes of food for each family. One family, a young lady with 4 kids, some still infants, lived in the back of a house. No phone there either. Her boyfriend left her recently, with 4 kids. So what if she did not look thankful? I just hope that she can survive to keep 5 people alive. Her daughter's birthday is tomorrow. So, we threw in a cake mix for her (:

The second family, was a Red Indian or something. She opened the door when we rang the doorbell and when I handed her a grocery gift card and some bus tickets, she looked as if she could not be happier. Even as we brought in the boxes, I could see that she was really really grateful. She has 3 children, the oldest, not even in his teens. I did not see a sign of a husband or a man that we all usually take as the anchor of the family.

It was not much that I did. I did not do anything, for that matter. I just rang doorbells and loaded the family with food. While packing the food, my aunt could not resist throwing in extras from the list. When she handed me the second list, neither could I help but do the same. It's Christmas and well, I guess they got the amount that they needed. I would have, thrown in more, if I could. But there were more families to deliver to, not just those two.

Have YOU done a good deed for Christmas?

I have. And it brought me joy all over.

No comments: